Monday, November 16, 2009

OMG, MOVIES ON THE WEATHER CHANNEL?

I was laying in bed the other night wondering what the weather would be like the next day. Since I'm not getting up to go online, the obvious choice was to put on The Weather Channel. This did not sound like a difficult challenge, finding the weather forcast. I've accomplished that goal many times before, and was completely confident I would be back to watching Family Guy within minutes. Only problem was that on this particular evening, The Weather Channel was not providing their regular service, they were instead showing the 1990 Stephen King movie "Misery". I would have double checked to make sure I was on the right channel, but there in the lower right corner was the familiar Weather Channel logo. Hmmm. Must be just a clip or something, so let's check the guide. Nope. They're showing the entire movie. My first question was a simple one.

Why?

Why would a channel that is known for only weather, completely change who they are for 107 minutes. Don't get me wrong, I love this movie. That's why I have it on dvd. When I want to watch it, I put it in the dvd player. I don't sit in bed with my fingers crossed hoping it's going to randomly pop up on The Weather Channel. Just like I don't hope "Shindler's List" is going to surprise me on Food Network.

And why "Misery"? Because Paul Sheldon shouldn't have been driving in the SNOW that day. If you have to show a movie, wouldn't "Twister" be a more appropriate pick? "The Day After Tomorrow" maybe? Better yet just don't.

This is not a new trend. In recent months I've come across "Flubber" (not a cartoon) on Cartoon Network, "Extreme Makeover" (not classic tv) on TV Land, The National Lampoon Vacation movies on Travel Channel (??), and original Star Wars trilogy on MTV. I will avoid the tired line of MTV not playing videos, but there is nothing they can do to convince me to watch a two hour movie in a three and a half hour time slot.

Seriously. Three and a half hours.

I think I speak for most when I say...enough. TLC, MTV, TWC, leave movies to the movie channels. Stop trying to be something you're not and just do what you do. The people have spoken.

3 comments:

  1. I agree 100% The same thing happened to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. I mean ... WTF! Who the f*****n heck is in charge of these TV stations anyway? Whoever it is aught to fired!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed that too, but mostly with Cartoon Network. I gave up on MTV a while a go, but now the Weather Channel as well? tsk tsk

    ReplyDelete